Thursday, May 7, 2009

Featured Seller: Spiced Sugar


While surfing through etsy one day i came across one of the cutest finds! The shop Spiced Sugar sells some of the most adorable baby clothes. Mercedes is the owner, operator and creator of Spiced Sugar. The toddler skirts have this cute bohemian style to them! I liked this store so much i knew i just had to have it featured on my blog! After interviewing Mercedes, i just knew so many moms would be able to relate to her, and i am so glad to be able to feature her store.

What is your shop name?
Spiced Sugar

How long have you been an etsy seller?
Since October, 2008

How many children do you have?
2 Girls, one almost 4 and one 14 months

Why did you decide to open a shop and sell on etsy?
I made a darling outfit for my two girls, which inspired two friends from church to request the same outfit in different fabrics for their girls. They kind of gave me the confidence to believe that there might be others out there interested and willing to pay for handmade gorgeousness!


How do you get inspired?
Honestly, the fabrics themselves! There are so many beautiful fabrics out there that coordinate and others that just 'go' together even when not designed in the same line or even from the same designer, sometimes! I love wandering the fabric shops putting fabrics together.

How much time do you put into your shop on average weekly?
It depends on the orders and my motivation level! Also, if the kids are having a good (read not-sick) week, and are better able to keep themselves occupied for little stretches, that affects my diligence. I would guess that at this point, it's probably about 15 hours

Can you run me through what a typical day for you would be managing a family and your business?
It seems pretty backwards, actually. The shower and getting ready for the day sometimes don't happen until midday. Often, though, mommying happens in the morning, with breakfast and getting the girls dressed. My little one is still taking a nap in the morning, and my oldest has preschool two days a week, so that allows me some time in the mornings. Then comes lunchtime and playing for a bit. Afternoon nap/quiet time is also a major work time for me--when I have a bit of motivation! Now that the weather is nicer, we've been going outside after that, and then comes dinner, baths, and getting ready for bed. I try not to work too late into the night, as then I dream about sewing. Not happy, inspirational dreams, but the recursive, looping dreams that come from an overactive brain. Sewing the same seam 400 times in a row, that kind of thing. Some days the balance is way off one way or the other.

How in the world do you balance your family and your business and how is it working?
Sometimes it doesn't work at all, and I'm consumed with guilt that I've hardly looked at my kids that day, aside from diapers and feeding them. I tend to procrastinate, or underestimate the time needed to complete a project, so I get stressed out, and have to spend every single second sewing. Then, sometimes nap time comes, and instead of working on an order, I'll watch a movie or read blogs!
Then there are other days, mainly when I haven't procrastinated, where I am able to just set the sewing aside and go push my girls on the swings. I feel much better those days.

On those days when you are feeling completely frazzled and are seconds away from a major meltdown what do you do to keep yourself sane?
Thankfully, in those situations, I am able to just say, "Okay. That was really stupid," and just keep going. My instinct in those situations is usually to just put away the sewing, but I make sure the problem is fixed before I give in.

In your opinion, what is the hardest part of running your business and being and WAHM (work at home mom)?
No question, for me, it's wanting to do the one when you have to do the other. Totally wanting to sew--the urge is striking, and you've got kid stuff to take care of. Or, you're frantically working, and your child is begging to go to the park. Sometimes the timing just doesn't work out.

What are your top three etsy shops that you can’t go a day without stalking?
Mainly the fabric shops: I love fabricsupplies, fabriccloset, and sewlovefabrics. They have enormous inventories

15 comments:

  1. I love the skirts---if only my third grader would still wear this stuff! I think we are entering the tween years...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are adorable! I just need a toddler to outfit!

    (Maybe grandkids - but I better not get any for a few years!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Read your profile on your etsy shop and absolutely love that you were trying to make make up out of crayons when you were little. Your jewellery is really unique. Love some of the pieces - like the rabbit from Alice in Wonderland.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Thank you for becoming a follower of my site. You were so quick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you take interest in other people and then feature their etsy shop! I loved reading your interview of Spiced Sugar! Her Tweet Top in FABulous! If I had a little one I'd buy it right now!

    Thanks for the wonderful comment about my shop! I will be checking up on you every now and again!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a nice post! you gave an in depth view of a fellow etsy mom trying to eeck out a living ~ and with beautiful clothing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was a great interview - I totally hear you with balancing raising the family and crafting and working.. tough! But totally worth it. Your shop is so nice - gives me the smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What great questions ~ sweet featured shop, too

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice interview! the clothing is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. those are such adorable clothes! makes me wish i had kids...*sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great interview! I'm getting inspired just sifting through your own shop :)

    Lunaverse

    ReplyDelete